Okayplayer’s 23 Breakout Artists to Watch For in 2023
This passage is describing four independent musicians to watch in the year 2023. They are Gwen Bunn, a singer and sound sculptor who has a range of production credits and collaborations; Orion Sun, a singer known for her R&B music and her sentimental approach; TiaCorine, a anime-obsessed North Carolina rapper who had a successful year in 2022 and released an album, I Can’t Wait; and YL, a New York rapper known for his versatility and prolific output in different formats like solo and collaborative. The passage also mention DoeChii, one of Top Dawg Entertainments’ newest signees who showed potential to break through in the industry.
It’s hard to predict what the music industry will look like in 2023, but there’s no doubt that these independent musicians will be making waves. Gwen Bunn has already proven her ability to create diverse, boundary-pushing music, and with her sophomore album, PHASE, she’s showing that she’s just getting started. Orion Sun has taken R&B to new heights with her emotive, introspective songwriting, and her EP, Getaway, is a taste of what’s to come. TiaCorine’s anime-inspired sound and confident attitude on I Can’t Wait, made her one of the strongest voices in the rap game this year. YL has shown that he can excel in a variety of styles, and with his RRR collective, he’s bringing attention back to the boroughs in New York. DoeChii is the newest signee of Top Dawg Entertainment and his potential to break through in the industry is obvious.
As we look forward to 2023, it’s clear that these artists are making music that is both personal and universal, and that they are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in the independent scene. They are all unique and stand out in their own way, but what they all have in common is that they are making music that is genuine and true to themselves. They all contributed to one of the most riveting years for independent rap and R&B in recent memory, and it’s exciting to see what the next year will bring for them.
Beyond the four artists mentioned earlier, there are many more independent musicians worth keeping an eye on in 2023. Some of the most exciting up-and-coming artists include:
- Kari Faux: This Arkansas-born rapper and singer has a unique style that blends elements of hip-hop, R&B, and indie rock. She’s been making waves with her powerful lyrics and sharp production, and her new album, Cry 4 Help, is sure to be a standout release.
- Tuamie: A young producer from Maryland who has quickly established himself as one of the most innovative beatmakers around, Tuamie’s beats are a perfect blend of boom-bap, avant-garde, and experimental. His new album, Supermarket, will showcase his unique style of beats and is must-listen.
- Opal Hoyt: A Brooklyn-based experimental musician, Opal Hoyt is creating music that defies genre classification. Her music is often haunting, atmospheric, and mesmerizing, and her new album, “The Gaze,” is set to be a masterpiece of avant-garde and experimental music.
- Sault: The anonymous group of musicians behind the project SAULT have been making waves in the independent music scene. Their music is a genre-blending mix of R&B, soul, funk, and psychedelic rock, and their live shows are known for being intense and transcendent experiences.
- BbyMutha: A Tennessee-based rapper and singer who has been making music for over a decade, BbyMutha is known for her raw, powerful, and honest lyrics. Her new album, “Open Mouths,” is set to be a powerful and cathartic release that showcases her unique style of rap and R&B.
As you can see, 2023 is shaping up to be an exciting year for independent music. There are countless artists pushing boundaries and experimenting with new sounds and styles, making it a great time to be a music fan. With so many new and exciting artists on the rise, it’s clear that independent music is thriving and will continue to evolve in the coming year.